[selinux-aktiva] Call for letters to ISO re: OpenXML

Marcus Rejås rejas at se.linux.org
Fre Jan 26 15:27:03 CET 2007

On 01/26 09:47, Marcus Rejås wrote:
> Hej!
>
> Läs detta[1] och begrunda. Jag föreslår att vi som förening skriver ett
> brev liknande exemplet. Jag behöver dock hjälp att formulera det.

Jag har läst en del kring detta nu och skrivit ihop ett första utkast.
Kommentera det gärna och kom med synpunkter.

Objections to JTC-1 Fast-Track Processing of the ECMA-376 Specification

To whom it may concern.

This is an open letter from the members of the Linux Society of Sweden
regarding the Fast Track Processing of the Ecma 376 Office Open XML
Specification by the ISO JTC-1 committee.

We are concerned about several things regarding Ecma 376. For instance
the complexity of Ecma 376 (over six thousand pages) and that it seems
to be vendor-specific. This makes it almost impossibly to implement this
standard for anyone except Microsoft in Microsoft Office, the
application on which it is modelled.

The concerns over Ecma 376, as pertaining ISO approval, are summarized
on this page: http://www.grokdoc.net/index.php/EOOXML_objections

The initial review period ends in two weeks, on February 5th. If none of
the "P-Members" of the ISO/IEC JTC1 (Joint Technical Commitee 1) raise a
"contradiction", the specification will go through the "fast-track"
process towards ISO approval.

I believe, and I hope that you will agree, that this standard should not
be allowed fast track approval.

If you are concerned about this matter please raise your concerns with
the Secretary of JTC1 Mrs. Lisa Rajchell (rajchel at ansi.org).

Yours Truly,

Marcus Rejås (Chairman),
on behalf of the Linux Society of Sweden

  /Marcus

--
Marcus Rejås
Svenska Linuxföreningen