[diskussion] Microsofts nya hot.

Jens Odsvall jens at linuxstore.se
Tis May 15 09:18:26 CEST 2007

On Mon, 14 May 2007 14:54:07 +0200
Jeremiah Foster <jeremiah at jeremiahfoster.com> wrote:

> Mon, May 14, 2007 at 01:08:41PM +0200:  Bengt Gördén mangled some bits into this alignment:
> > måndag 14 maj 2007 12:50 skrev Torbjörn Svensson:
> > > Quoting Jens Odsvall <jens at linuxstore.se>:

> > > Mig veterligt så finns det inget som hindrar dig från att ta tag i
> > > detta. Personligen börjar jag bli rätt trött på folk i denna
> > > föreningen som bara säger att *andra* skall göra en massa och sen
> > > lyfter de själva inte ett finger.
> >
> > Välkommen till föreningslivet. Du lär inte hitta många sammanslutningar som
> > funkar annorlunda.

Dessvärre helt korrekt uttryckt. Önskar att det inte vore, på det viset. Har deltagit i olika föreningar och styrelser.
Sedan slutet på 1980 talet.

> I wish it were different but unfortunately what Bengan says is true. Furthermore,
> many foreningar duplicate each other, (I am thinking of Svenska Linux Foreningen,
> FFII, FSFE, med mera) and therefor dilute the message. No wonder the Swedish Linux
> Foreningen is having a hard time filling positions on the styrelsen.

But the community needs, a central focal point.
That is truly distrognostic.

> It is a shame becuase there are great people involved in all the foreningar and
> their contributions are needed.
>
> - Linux use in Sweden needs more active participation from the business community
>   to show its value proposition.

There is support from large companies.
As an example SSAB, has an opensource project.
http://www.proview.se/

> - It needs more participants on the national level, currently the lack of
>   quality documentation regarding linux and free software in Swedish leads users
>   to English language sites.

Well... There are projects.
The *official* swedish translation project of "Slackware Linux Essentials".
http://www.slackware.se/wiki/index.php/Slackbook
The swedish Slackware community, is very active.
http://www.slackware.se/hakans_slackware/
http://www.slackware.se/jens/
And a new project. http://paket.slackware.se/
Not up and running yet.
http://www.granden.ws/ now dead. But still up.
A translationproject of CRUX. By Gramse.
http://web.telia.com/~u30105546/CRUX-Do-So/CRUX-Do-So.html
http://www.gramse.nu/

> - It needs more developers to come forward since there are many excellent Swedes
>   doing excellent work (I'm thinking of Simon Josefsson and Daniel Stenberg, just
>   two examples of many good Swedish developers.) They need to be promoted publicly.

The problem is. That very fue, wants to do anything.

It is an ongoing work. http://www.programverket.org/

> - It needs reliable sources of information and news. Gnuheter and frimedia both
>   died. Why is there no one able to make a commitment to FLOSS / Linux news in
>   Scandinavia from a community point of view?

People gets tired. When the job they do, gets unrecognised.
CRUX http://crux.nu started as a swedish distribution.
By Per Lidén http://www.fukt.bth.se/~per/

> - It needs more openness. Currently FLOSS is dominated by groups like FSFE and
>   the Swedish Linux Foreningen. These groups are closed - especially the FSFE.

It's dominated by large companies, like Red Hat and Novell.

>   While the FSFE has two board members from Sweden representing a significant
>   portion of the board no one knows how they got there. Are they elected? What
>   is the process? What about the Swedish Linux Foreningen? Is a forenigen the
>   right model for a truly open system? Why not a model more like debian where
>   you do not have to pay to join and contribution counts? What is the point of
>   a national user group for linux? To promote linux? To have fun? To meet other
>   linux enthusiasts? I think these questions need to be re-examined given the
>   lack of uptake of linux in Sweden.

It's dificult when you are told, to actualy "shut up".

> Who am I to criticize? Well, I am someone who thinks Sweden is a great place
> to live and has a role to play within the development of Free Software.

Hopefully you are right.

> I see great potential but right now linux, and Free Software in general,
> is suffereing in Sweden.
>
> 	Jeremiah

Yes.. But it must get nutured.
One OS one desctop filosofy, is *not* the right way.
It kills the community and the will, to do anything.
We are few, ho do promote diversity, KISS and RTFM.
The slogan of to day, is "install Ubuntu, Fedora, openSUSE and shut up".

Regards/Jens
--
Registered User # 259689 http://counter.li.org
Visa oss koden http://showusthecode.com/