[diskussion] [Fwd: SV: Chinese visit]

Anders Lindbäck anders.lindback at linuxbolaget.se
Sat Aug 29 20:29:57 CEST 2009

Jeremiah Foster skrev:
> What about democracy, human rights, and freedom of worship?

I don't know - It was along time ago since we had that in any country
on this earth - they are diminishing constantly now.

> What good is all this technical knowledge if they criticize the
> government, get put in prison for political dissent, are murdered by
> the State and their organs sold to Westerners?
>
> Give me a break. Free Software and software engineering practices are
> worthless without real freedom - tell them to start there first.
>
> No wonder no one is part of this föreningen, you people have misplaced
> your priorities.

We got a request from someone at KTH about having this meeting.
I think it would be wrong of me to not ask for input about it
from the members. If noone can help - well them we just have to tell
them no and it's nothing more about it.

As I see it by spreading free software we also spreading the concept
of free speach - the expression  "free software as in free speach"
shows that promoting free software are a way to promote free speech.

As for priorities; the goal of föreningen is to promote free software
we don't have a political agenda. Promoting the use of free software in
China is not maybe what comes first to mind but its still promoting free
software.

PS I used to be chairmain of the swedish version of EFF and have
been fighting for free speech for a very long time.