[diskussion] [Fwd: SV: Chinese visit]

Jeremiah Foster jeremiah at jeremiahfoster.com
Sat Aug 29 21:20:43 CEST 2009

On Aug 29, 2009, at 20:29, Anders Lindbäck wrote:

> Jeremiah Foster skrev:
>> What about democracy, human rights, and freedom of worship?
>>

> I don't know - It was along time ago since we had that in any country
> on this earth - they are diminishing constantly now.

Anders, that sounds awfully cynical. I think we have those things here
in Sweden. It ain't perfect, but it's pretty damn good.

>> What good is all this technical knowledge if they criticize the
>> government, get put in prison for political dissent, are murdered by
>> the State and their organs sold to Westerners?
>>
>> Give me a break. Free Software and software engineering practices are
>> worthless without real freedom - tell them to start there first.
>>
>> No wonder no one is part of this föreningen, you people have
>> misplaced
>> your priorities.
>
> We got a request from someone at KTH about having this meeting.

Oh okay, KTH that institution of industry and government that spews
out patents and knowledge that it then hides the same from the
citizens who paid for it. I would look upon any request from them, and
Chalmers too, with some suspicion.

> I think it would be wrong of me to not ask for input about it
> from the members. If noone can help - well them we just have to tell
> them no and it's nothing more about it.

Fair enough. I was mistaken to take such a negative tone. I suppose I
am frustrated with the pace of change and feel that the föreningen
might help hasten the rate of change.

> As I see it by spreading free software we also spreading the concept
> of free speach - the expression  "free software as in free speach"
> shows that promoting free software are a way to promote free speech.

I think we need to be more explicit.

> As for priorities; the goal of föreningen is to promote free software
> we don't have a political agenda.

Well then we shouldn't have "FOSS" as the first goal.

> Promoting the use of free software in
> China is not maybe what comes first to mind but its still promoting
> free
> software.
>
> PS I used to be chairmain of the swedish version of EFF and have
> been fighting for free speech for a very long time.

I recognize that Anders and I am very grateful for your work in that
regard. But you must admit that the EFF does not have the profile in
Europe that it has in the United States, and that those who work for
it have a bit of responsibility for that. As free software spreads
through the US, Germany, and the developing world, Sweden is falling
behind. The EFF and SE Linux Föreningen both have a great deal of work
to do to raise the consciousness of Free Software in Sweden.